26 October 2014

ARC Netgally: The Boyfriend Sessions by Belinda Williams


My rating: 4 stars

*ARC courtesy of Netgalley*

Another good one! I'm on a positive streak!!

Christa has learned from very young – with her parents' failed marriage and the consequent suicide of her father - how much being in love can hurt someone. Having been hurt herself more than once from people she cared about, she -unconsciously- closed off that part of herself preferring to frequent men she knew she couldn't possibly be serious about and leaving them just at the right time. After her last disastrous break-up, Christa's friends force her to attend weekly meeting with them to discuss her past romances while she has to endure a six month period of abstinence from men. What better time than this for starting a relationship with her best friend's brother? None, obviously!

Max has been hurt quite bad by his last girlfriend and, while he's not able to talk about it, he thinks he's ready to move on...and what better woman to fall in love with than his sister's best friend? The same best friend that was his first crush and who also happens to be a serial dater with a commitment phobia?! Obviously there couldn't be a better choice!

Sarcasm notwithstanding, those two are a very cute couple and I really liked how their relationship started and developed in the story! But the romance in itself it's not the part I liked the most about this book.

I started this story expecting a fun and light read but The Boyfriend Sessions is more than that.
I don't know...maybe it's just the right-book-at-the-right-time kind of thing but this story gives - in my opinion - an interesting insight on good and bad relationships we (women) find ourselves in and, even more important, about how they leave some long lasting effects we often tend to ignore.
What I liked most of the analysis the book offers on Christa's past romances is that it tries to be objective on both parts' faults: Christa tells her story and her perspective on it, her friends express their opinions and then Max says his. It's all very organized and methodical.
Obviously, as it always happens for love's issues, it's not so simple to learn from our own errors...Christa surely proved that!

In the end I'm quite happy with this book since my expectations of it were definitively exceeded: 4 solid stars! At last I'd like to thank again the author for the opportunity to read her book for free and I hope she appreciates my honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment