29 December 2014

ARC Netgalley: Losing Heart by Donna Brown



My rating: 4 stars

Synopsis from GR:

 "I hate you. I hate you with all of Sylvia's heart."
 
Helen has waited for months for the heart that will save her life. After reaching out to the grieving mother of her donor heart, Helen realises that a second chance comes at a price. The price, she soon realises, is much steeper than she'd ever have chosen to pay. 
There's more than one way to break a heart. There's more than one way to destroy a life...

 


*ARC courtesy of NetGalley*

Freaky
Creepy
Disturbing

That's the first thing that come to mind when I try to review this book.
Which is not the same as saying I didn't like it...I did! I liked it exactly for the emotions and feelings - even if negative - it aroused.
Helen, the main character, is not a likeable woman but in the long run it's impossible not to feel sympathy for her situation: she's pretty much alone in a war against a woman that apparently is "perfect" and that is way better than her in awakening compassion and pity. I sure took my time in taking her part.

Donna Brown's Losing Heart reminds me a little of Karin Slaughter's books and that's a style I like very much.
At last, I'd like to thank the author for the chance to read her story through NetGalley and I hope she appreciates my honest review.

2 comments:

  1. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to read this and for your wonderful feedback. This is a lovely way to start 2015 and being compared to Karin Slaughter? Wow, that blows me away!

    Thank you again, Lara.

    Happy New Year!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be the one to thank you for giving me the chance to read "Losing Heart"!
      I'm happy you liked and commented my review: it's not very long or detailed but I hope my enthusiasm for this story still came through :)

      Happy New Year to you too!!!
      Lara

      Delete