10 February 2021

ARC: Between Wild and Ruin (Wild And Ruin #1) by Jennifer G. Edelson


My rating: 3 stars

Series: Wild and Ruin #1

Synopsis from GR: 

Truth, like love, isn’t always obvious.

Seventeen-year-old Ruby Brooks has never had a boyfriend. After moving to small-town La Luna, New Mexico following her mother’s untimely death, boys aren’t even on her radar. Ruby just wants to forget the last horrible year and blend in. But when she discovers an ancient pueblo ruin in the forest behind her house, and meets Ezra, a bitter recluse whose once-perfect face was destroyed in an accident he won’t talk about; Angel, La Luna’s handsome sheriff’s deputy, and Leo, a stranger who only appears near the ruin, Ruby finds herself teetering between love, mystery, and other worlds. What happened to Ezra’s face? And why is she so attracted to the one boy in town everyone despises? As Ruby unravels her own connections to both Ezra and the pueblo ruin, she’ll learn surfaces are deceiving. Especially in the heart of New Mexico, where spirits and legends aren’t always just campfire stories.


Between Wild and Ruin it's a nice enough story but I wasn't captivated by it or its characters.
While the setting and the legends around La Luna are really interesting I couldn't really connect with Ruby and her relationship management skills (or lack of thereof).
I guess that depends on my age ;)

The author though is really good in describing the landscapes and the nature's wilderness around La Luna. That and the various stories about the people of that area were my favorite part of the book.

All in all, I think that a younger reader could really enjoy this book and I would honestly recommend it.

At last, I'd like to thank the author Jennifer G. Edelson for the chance to read her book for free through BookSirens and I hope she appreciates my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment