03 February 2021

The Devil's Only Friend by Dan Wells [John Cleaver #4]

Cover

My rating: 4.5 stars

Series:  John Cleaver #4

Synopsis from Goodreads: 

John Wayne Cleaver hunts demons: they've killed his neighbors, his family, and the girl he loves, but in the end he's always won. Now he works for a secret government kill team, using his gift to hunt and kill as many monsters as he can...

...but the monsters have noticed, and the quiet game of cat and mouse is about to erupt into a full scale supernatural war.

John doesn't want the life he's stuck with. He doesn't want the FBI bossing him around, he doesn't want his only friend imprisoned in a mental ward, and he doesn't want to face the terrifying cannibal who calls himself The Hunter. John doesn't want to kill people. But as the song says, you can't always get what you want. John has learned that the hard way; his clothes have the stains to prove it.

When John again faces evil, he'll know what he has to do.



This is, so far, one of my favorite book in the series.

I liked the change of scenery and the darker tones (not that the past books were sunshine and flowers but still): John always felt older than his years so the school setting didn't fit that well to me.
I liked also the new set of characters.
I tried to not get attached to any of them since the author has the bad habit of "sending away" the ones I like the most but, let me tell you, that it didn't work that much.

The most interesting additions were Potash and Elijah, mostly Elijah.
I'd have liked to know more about their past.

I'm quite curious about the next installment since the synopsis gives some not so subtle clues about what will be going on with Brooke...that said, since I've already added it to my kindle library, it won't be long 'till I'll find out ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment